- 4 – 6 years
- Harder to get accepted:
- Best to either have publications, or have participated in olympiads. Past research experience is a must!
- Enter job market later.
- Almost always includes funding!
- 1 – 2 years
- Easier to get accepted.
- Enter job market sooner, or get a PhD.
- Harder to secure funding:
- High grades, high GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS scores and publications help! It’s not impossible.
Maximize your chances:
- Apply widely! Think about how competitive your application really is. Apply to your dream schools, AND apply to less selective schools.
- GRE, TOEFL or IELTS scores count. Try your best! it’s usually not enough just to get the minimum scores that schools accept.
- Do well in your classes, and try to do side research projects (even if they don’t lead to publications, they still strengthen your resume!).
- Email, email, EMAIL professors! If one accepts, then you’re half way in!!